Adeleke Hails Judiciary Over Appeal Court Ruling on Accord Deregistration Suit

Adeleke Hails Judiciary Over Appeal Court Ruling on Accord Deregistration Suit
By Waliu Adetokun, Osogbo
Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke has praised the judiciary for safeguarding democratic rights following the Court of Appeal’s decision to stay proceedings in a suit seeking the deregistration of the Accord party and other political parties.
In a statement issued on Saturday by his spokesperson, Mallam Olawale Rasheed, the governor described the judiciary as “the last hope and refuge of the citizens,” while commending the appellate court for what he called its professionalism and commitment to justice.
Adeleke said the ruling had effectively frustrated efforts by some individuals to prevent Accord members from participating in the August 15 election in Osun State.
“I am using this opportunity to commend the judiciary for protecting the sanctity and integrity of our democracy from deliberate abuse by anti-democratic elements. On behalf of the good people of Osun State, we thank the justices and the entire judiciary,” the governor said.
The governor recalled that he had benefited from judicial interventions since 2018, noting that the courts had consistently defended his democratic rights against what he described as repeated attacks and abuses.
“The judiciary is the last hope of the oppressed, the refuge for the weak,” he added.
According to Adeleke, the ruling by the Court of Appeal has further strengthened public confidence in the nation’s democratic process.
“As we escape the trap of those seeking to avoid free and fair elections, I congratulate Accord leaders locally and nationally,” he stated.
The governor also called on party members and supporters to intensify mobilisation efforts ahead of the August 15 poll, expressing confidence in the continuation of his administration.
“We should now redouble our campaigns to secure an overwhelming victory on August 15. We must be bold, strong and resolute within the confines of the law to sustain and extend our mandate,” he said.
Adeleke further assured supporters that his administration would resist any attempt to undermine the democratic process.
“As we have the people and God with us, we won’t succumb to intimidation and harassment. August 15 is for the continuity of our Imole administration. We will legally resist any attempt to derail the democratic process,” he said.
The appeal, marked CA/ABJ/CV/569/2026, is between Accord and the Incorporated Trustees of National Forum of Former Legislators alongside six others.
At the resumed hearing of the matter, counsel to the appellant, Musibau Adetunbi (SAN), informed the court of three pending applications, including a motion for stay of further proceedings, an application seeking departure from the rules, and another seeking leave to amend the notice of appeal.
In its ruling, the Court of Appeal held that the purpose of granting a stay of proceedings was to preserve the subject matter of the appeal pending its determination and to ensure that the appeal would not become futile if successful.
The court said it considered the grounds of appeal and affidavit evidence presented before concluding that the appellant had placed sufficient materials before it to justify the exercise of its discretion in favour of granting the application.
The appellate court also referred to a similar case involving Barrister Maxwell Mgbudem versus Accord, where a stay of proceedings had earlier been granted under comparable circumstances.
Following the ruling, the matter was adjourned until October 27, 2027, for hearing.
